Rape is just a “method of conception,” relegating women to the means of conception, instead of, you know, people whose experiences, hopes, and fears actually matter…
Fundamentally, the debate over abortion is a debate over what we make of the fact that some of us in this world can have babies. For pro-choicers, “being able to make babies” is a nifty thing to be able to do, like being able to play the piano or being able to bake pies. It’s your skill, your ability. You should use it how you like…
For anti-choicers, the fact that someone can make a baby means that making babies is what she is for. People mistake the term “objectification” to mean “looking at with lust,” but what it actually means is “reducing someone to an object to be used.” Sexual objectification is assuming that because women turn you on, they are for sex, instead of a person whose sexuality should be an expression of their agency. What anti-choicers engage in is reproductive objectification. Women are among an array of objects to be used. The refrigerator is for storing food. The bookshelf is for holding books. The woman is for making babies. You no more give her a choice in the matter than you would give your refrigerator veto power over what food it hold because it didn’t like your method of shopping.” —Amanda Marcotte, She’s Just an Easy-Bake Oven: How the GOP and the Anti-Choice Movement See Women (via seebster)
- my kid: <abruptly stops eating dinner and stares off into space for a bit>
- my kid: What... what if the only word was "mop?"
- mom and dad: Huh?
- my kid: Could we ever really say anything to anyone? Even the word "mop" couldn't mean mop if that was the only word. How would you ever know what anything meant?
- dad: There's probably a bit of math somewhere that could back you up on that.
- my kid: Woah.
- my kid: ...what's math?
- mom: You could probably make new words but only using that sound. You could change pitch like they do in Mandarin. And make some "mops" louder or quieter, or longer or shorter. MOP mop mop moooop! Mop mop mop?
- all together: mop jibberish language development for the next ten minutes
- i thought something similar about cat's different kinds of "meow"s
Susan Faludi, Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women (via bornamutant)
(not only women can get pregnant)